Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Headlights

It was possibly moths
Thrown into confusion
By my speed
And the halogen lights

Maybe it was drifting seeds

Perhaps tiny soft aliens
Landing on Beachy Head
Securing the high ground

Two in the morning
(and I hope you are sleeping by now
having conquered the nausea
caused by the antibiotics)

As we drive home
The car seems somehow reckless
And I have to hold it back.

The dog will be waiting
Anxious for news
And our bed will seem lifeless
As though composed
Only of pillows, a sheet and a duvet
Which, of course, it is.

7 comments:

Wastedpapiers said...

Interesting news item as i watched breakfast tv this morning as I sleepily chewed my toast (with marmite). Seems the RSPCB had a survey whereby they sent a postcard with square holes punch in it to memebers and they were asked to place the postcard over the front number plate of their cars and to count the number of squashed bugs in the square. they could then work out how many bugs are stupid enough to fly straight at moving cars. Something like that.

Roger Stevens said...

Stupid bugs! You can just imagine them talking.
"You know those things with the bright lights? Well, I'm going to fly straight at the next one."
"Don't do that. Keep well away!"
"No - I'm going to hit it head on."
"You're stupid."
"No I'm not."
"Well, we'll see who's stupid, won't we?"
"Yes we will. And it won't be me. There comes one now... Off I go..."

Wastedpapiers said...

Well done! You've exceded your 500 mark! Not bugs but people visiting your blog! I think quite a few of them were me!

Roger Stevens said...

Well spotted. Yes, I think about a third were you, and a third were me.

Roger Stevens said...

Have you a web-counter, Michael? The easy hit one I've got seems the most straightforward.

Wastedpapiers said...

Hazels just been web counting in the garden as she went to see Flo the rabbit. One tiny spider was spinning an irate fly in a webby trap when a wasp from International Rescue flew up and cut the web so the fly fell to the ground! Mind you, it had half its bodily fluids sucked out by then so probably turn into a zombie fly now?!

Roger Stevens said...

I hate that zombie flies.