Tuesday, February 08, 2005

This Book Begins


This book begins
With a mad rush for the train.
The alarm wakes me.
I wash, shower, dress
Black trousers, orange shirt, yellow socks.
Smooth operation.
I’m early.
I have time to spare.
I sip my coffee.
Check the map.
But time concertinas.
Maybe time saxophones.
Either way I’m in a hurry now.
Time metronomes.
I’m leaving the house.
Blast!
My glasses!
They are in my dressing gown pocket
On the back of the bedroom door.
I run up the stairs.
I’m moving fast.

Time is a foxtrot.
There’s a heavy frost.
I start the car.
The windscreen is an iced cake.
The de-icer’s in Jill’s car.
The key’s on my key ring

In the ignition.
I turn off the engine.
Find the de-icer.
De-ice the windows.
Now the car won’t start.
I have to de-activate the thief lock.
I manoeuvre through the gate.
Stop.
Close the gate.

I wait for the de-icer to kick in.
Time is a mazurka.

Time is a polka.
Luckily there’s no traffic at six in the morning.
Luckily the station car park ticket machine works this time.
Luckily there’s no queue at the ticket office.
The level crossing’s down.
I can hear the train coming.
I run over the bridge.
Catch the train

On the last note of the final coda.
Organise myself,
My hat, coat, case, book
And notebook.
I’m starting a new notebook today.
The phrase, This book begins
With a mad rush for the train
Comes into my head.


10 comments:

Skrambled Egghead Reborn said...

mmmm...I really like this one. Time is a dance. Unfortunately, I have two left feet and no sense of rhythm, so I am constantly missing steps, crushing toes, and stumbling on the danceroom floor.

Skrambled Egghead Reborn said...

mmmm...I really like this one. Time is a dance. Unfortunately, I have two left feet and no sense of rhythm, so I am constantly missing steps, crushing toes, and stumbling on the danceroom floor.

Skrambled Egghead Reborn said...

Oh damn. I hate blogger sometimes. Sorry for double posting.

Ostrich said...

i really enjoy reading your blog. Another Super post Roger, keep up the good work.

Roger Stevens said...

That's okay, Skram!

Thanks Os.

Roger Stevens said...

That's okay, Skram!

Thanks Os.

Wastedpapiers said...

Nice poetic insight into your daily routine. Yellow socks eh? Was that poetic license or do you really have yellow socks?

sylviasometimes said...

I love the comparisons
between the day's activities
and dancing...it's true...
very nice, Roger

Roger Stevens said...

Yes I do have yellow socks.

You can't make this stuff up you know!

sylviasometimes said...

I'm sure the yellow socks are charming, Roger (putting on shades)