Monday, January 09, 2006

2006


In the grey sky above Vlissengen
A bird floats by
Chased by her own shadow
And the first flakes of snow

On the radio the top two thousand
Ploughs gamely on
And the New Year waits impatiently
On the corner of a scuddy snowy street

The wind is horizontal
Stinging snow and a rock and roll wind
Blows Jill’s brolly apart

The first thunderclaps and sonic booms
Rattle the Dutch rafters and chimneys
And birds head for the country

Midnight and we raise our glass, whoop
Troop outside to witness the carnage of the old year
As the aerial bombardment begins in earnest
With screaming devils and heavy-duty explosives
And Jill says,
We were so young when we met
We’re so old now

11 comments:

Sue hardy-Dawson said...

This is so vivid I really felt like I could smell the fire works and feel the coldness of the snow, sounds like you had a good holiday. Many insperations and a happy and busy New Year xx

Shubhodeep said...

"Midnight and we raise our glass, whoop
Troop outside to witness the carnage of the old year
As the aerial bombardment begins in earnest
With screaming devils and heavy-duty explosives"

love these lines.

brilliant poem! like the narrative, personal touch!

Wastedpapiers said...

hazel said..you aren't old Jilly.....as my dad said.."I am the youngst I'll ever be right now..."
Happy New year
xx
The rockets went off here at midnight too...Others like me must have been poised in the damp dark back garden rocket carefully angled in champagne bottle wedged in a flower pot ready for the sroke of midnight....great display though...my rockets looked dead cheap next to what others sent up.

Nan said...

Don't take it to heart, Roger. I have known people who were old at 20 and young at 70.

It's a shame the outsides of people don't match the insides so you can tell who's who.

As it is, you can be easily fooled.

Roger Stevens said...

Thank you Cate. But inside I feel even older...

Russell CJ Duffy said...

you are as old as you feel....

where is that damn zimmer frame?

Anonymous Poet said...

Happy New Year! And many more with your Jill!

: )

Wastedpapiers said...

Hazel didnt say.... you are as old as the man you feel. No that doesnt sound right? Its the woman you feel is as old as you is? Is you is or is you aint as old as what you said you was?

Sue hardy-Dawson said...

I don't know how old I feel I can't reach any more

Nicole Braganza said...

This is a truly wonderful poem. Si charmant! So filled with sweet simplicity and romance. Its amazingly vivid, I could visulize it as I read it and the last two lines are of longing and rememberance. Im sure it was a memorable holiday. HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too! Make it a good one.

Russell Ragsdale said...

Don't know why I find Holland such a poetic place. I enjoyed being there with you in this one!