Sunday, December 23, 2012

I Am Your Christmas Present


And I hope that all your Christmas wishes will come true.
I am your Christmas present and I’m coming home to you.

I am the Christmas present for your loved ones far away
I am the fall of snow that arrives on Christmas day
I am the socks, the box of chocs, the tie you give to Dad
I am the Christmas joke that cheers you up if you feel sad
I am the chestnuts roasting around an open fire
I am the DVD Super-deluxe edition of The Wire

I am Mr Tesco keeping Christmas dreams alive
I am the grocer on the High Street hoping that he can survive
You may say I’m mass consumerism, but I’m only having fun
I am the future because IT’S ONLY JUST BEGUN
I am ten thousand Kindle books travelling by post
I’m the letter up the chimney, the X-box you want the most

I’m expensive silver wrapping paper covered in gold stars
I’m the CO2 emissions from six hundred million cars
Right now I am a turkey, but soon I will be meat
I am a child in the slums, I am a beggar in the street
I’m your credit card, the debt you know you cannot pay
I’m a baby in a manger and I just won’t go away

I’m the Minister for War learning someone else’s lines
I’m the money spent on missiles, spent on guns and spent on mines
I am the bullet heading for a young man’s head
I’m a message to his mother. I’m afraid your son is dead.

And I hope that all your Christmas wishes will come true.
I am your Christmas present and I’m coming home to you.

No comments: